Chapter 1 : Becoming a Great iPhone/iPad or Mac Programmer

This forum contains all the assignments and questions readers may have for each chapter.

Moderator: gary.bennett

Chapter 1 : Becoming a Great iPhone/iPad or Mac Programmer

Postby gary.bennett » Sat Aug 14, 2010 3:17 pm

Becoming a Great iPhone/iPad or Mac Programmer
    Thinking Like a Developer
    Completing the Development Cycle
    Introducing Object Oriented Programming
    Working with the Alice Interface

In Mid Sept 2012 Alice 3.0 was released. It contains a number of User Interface changes. I made a youTube video describing them. Here is the link:
http://youtu.be/7hCnUUXOKvo

Weekly Q&A for Objective-C for Absolute Beginners Book

Purpose: Answer questions about Objective-C and OOP from book or other related info.
This Webinar is held every week on Wednesday, from:
6:30 PM - 7:30 PM PST
Register Now at:
https://www2.gotomeeting.com/register/763610930
Once registered you will receive an email confirming your registration with information you need to join the Webinar.
System Requirements
PC-based attendees
Required: Windows® 7, Vista, XP or 2003 Server
Macintosh®-based attendees
Required: Mac OS® X 10.4.11 (Tiger®) or newer
gary.bennett

Re: Chapter 1 : Becoming a Great iPhone/iPad or Mac Programm

Postby gary.bennett » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:58 pm

Here is the link to download Alice 3 Beta

http://www.alice.org/index.php?page=alice3/download
gary.bennett

Fantastic web site

Postby wojingli27c » Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:25 pm

Magnificent site. Lots of useful info here. I am sending it to some buddies ans additionally sharing in delicious. And obviously, thanks on your sweat!
wojingli27c

Postby sean.morrissey » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:40 pm

Chapter 1 webinar stated every Wednesday at 1830 hours. But not until March 21st. I think this should be stated to better schedule time.
sean.morrissey

Postby gary.bennett » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:09 pm

sean.morrissey wrote:Chapter 1 webinar stated every Wednesday at 1830 hours. But not until March 21st. I think this should be stated to better schedule time.

Hi Sean, That is why I say to visit my website and look at the schedule. My schedule does change, and most Weds I do have it, as you can see by the previously recorded videos. I only missed on Weds this month. Again, see the schedule. http://www.xcelme.com/free-webinars.php
Gary
gary.bennett

Postby SgtImhotep » Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:26 am

Hi Gary,

Just reading through Chapter 1 of the book and I understand everything apart from what a "Design Requirement" actually is.

Do you have anything that might explain it a bit more than the book does? Maybe an example of a design requirement that allows me to see more about it?

I have answered all the exercise questions and done the algorithm, but I am stuck on the design requirement.

Appreciate any help you can offer.

Regards,

Anthony.
SgtImhotep

Postby gary.bennett » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:45 pm

Hi Tony,
Take a look at chapter two and the banking app that I use as the example. Let me know if that helps.
Gary
gary.bennett

Postby KaiserPunch » Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:40 pm

Hello, I seem to be having problems with NSLog.
Here are two pictures of the code I put in, and the error messages.

After awhile I moved on to the next part, I then came to the second time you have us use Xcode and had the same problem.

One thing I noticed that was different was in the upper left hand corner where you select HelloWorld.m in the book, instead it is Main.c under the HelloWorld folder, for me.
Hopefully you can point out what it is I am doing wrong.
KaiserPunch

Postby gary.bennett » Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:08 am

KaiserPunch wrote:Hello, I seem to be having problems with NSLog.
Here are two pictures of the code I put in, and the error messages.

After awhile I moved on to the next part, I then came to the second time you have us use Xcode and had the same problem.

One thing I noticed that was different was in the upper left hand corner where you select HelloWorld.m in the book, instead it is Main.c under the HelloWorld folder, for me.
Hopefully you can point out what it is I am doing wrong.

That happens when you selected "Core Foundations" instead of "Foundations" when you created your project. Go back and re-create your project with "Foundations". There is a screen shot of that step in your book with the checkmark.
gary.bennett

Postby KaiserPunch » Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:10 pm

Thanks! A lot of the customization menus have moved in the newest version.
KaiserPunch

Postby gary.bennett » Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:17 pm

KaiserPunch wrote:Thanks! A lot of the customization menus have moved in the newest version.

Are you using the second edition of the book? The screen shots should be exactly as they appear in Xcode 4.3.1
Gary
gary.bennett

Postby KaiserPunch » Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:28 am

Yea, it's the first edition. I guess I'll grab the second.
KaiserPunch

Postby gary.bennett » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:59 am

KaiserPunch wrote:Yea, it's the first edition. I guess I'll grab the second.

Sorry, send me an email when you can.
gary.bennett

Postby boogieville » Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:32 am

Hi Gary
Been having problems in that Alice ver 3 beta no longer seems to be available, it's up to ver 3.1.41 now and the whole thing looks quite different to screen shots in the book. If I was a bit more experienced, I could probably figure it all out, but as I'm a raw beginner, it's a little difficult trying to follow along.
Regards
Len
boogieville

Postby sane » Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:43 pm

Gary,

The .zip files provided won't open in Alice 3.1. Apparently Alice is not backwards compatible to 3.0.
I'll try and persevere though.
sane

Postby gary.bennett » Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:06 pm

sane wrote:Gary,

The .zip files provided won't open in Alice 3.1. Apparently Alice is not backwards compatible to 3.0.
I'll try and persevere though.

Ugh, you got to love updates. I will work on getting these redone in the next couple weeks. Thanks for the heads up, Sane.
gary.bennett

Having Trouble loading Alice on 10.8.2

Postby steve.gilbert » Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:57 pm

If I'm asking in the wrong location could someone please tell me where to go... :shock: ... I'm trying to get all the software we discussed Monday onto my Macbook Pro. I just upgraded the OS from 10.7.5 to 10.8.2. No problems there. I also managed to get xCode upgraded from 4.2 to 4.5.2 okay. The problem is with Alice 3.1 (or perhaps Java). When I try to install Alice the installer bounces up and down on the bar and then disappears. There is no error message. I've tried both the online installer and I've downloaded the full package. I did have the problem mentioned on the Alice website about the security on 10.8.2 not liking non-app store installers. I changed the security setting so that is not the issue. The other suggestion was to load Java on the system but when went to the link and ran the Java installer it gives me a message that there is already a more recent version on my Mac. Has anyone else run into similar issues or know a work around? Thanks.

Finally got Alice loaded. The fix...

Downloaded full version of Alice installer and placed it on the desktop
Went to Utilities, then Terminal
Typed "java -version" (this triggered 10.8.2 loading the appropriate java software)
While the Terminal was still open I ran the Alice installer, answered a few questions and Alice loaded successfully
steve.gilbert

Re: Having Trouble loading Alice on 10.8.2

Postby gary.bennett » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:07 am

steve.gilbert wrote:If I'm asking in the wrong location could someone please tell me where to go... :shock: ... I'm trying to get all the software we discussed Monday onto my Macbook Pro. I just upgraded the OS from 10.7.5 to 10.8.2. No problems there. I also managed to get xCode upgraded from 4.2 to 4.5.2 okay. The problem is with Alice 3.1 (or perhaps Java). When I try to install Alice the installer bounces up and down on the bar and then disappears. There is no error message. I've tried both the online installer and I've downloaded the full package. I did have the problem mentioned on the Alice website about the security on 10.8.2 not liking non-app store installers. I changed the security setting so that is not the issue. The other suggestion was to load Java on the system but when went to the link and ran the Java installer it gives me a message that there is already a more recent version on my Mac. Has anyone else run into similar issues or know a work around? Thanks.

Finally got Alice loaded. The fix...

Downloaded full version of Alice installer and placed it on the desktop
Went to Utilities, then Terminal
Typed "java -version" (this triggered 10.8.2 loading the appropriate java software)
While the Terminal was still open I ran the Alice installer, answered a few questions and Alice loaded successfully

Thanks for the post Steve, let me know if you need anything.
gary.bennett

Return to Book -> Objective-C for Absolute Beginners: (2nd Edition) iPhone and Mac Programming Made Easy