Chapter 2 : Programming Basics

This forum contains all the assignments and questions readers may have for each chapter.

Moderator: gary.bennett

Chapter 2 : Programming Basics

Postby gary.bennett » Sat Aug 14, 2010 3:21 pm

Programming Basics
    Taking a Tour with Alice
    Navigation Menu
    World Window
    Classes, Objects, and Instances in Alice
    Object Tree
    Editor Area
    Details Area
    Events Area
    Creating an Alice App—To the Moon Alice
    Your First Objective-C Program
    Installing Xcode
    Launching and Using Xcode

Weekly Q&A for Objective-C for Absolute Beginners Book

Purpose: Answer questions about Objective-C and OOP from book or other related info.
This Webinar is held every week on Wednesday, from:
6:30 PM - 7:30 PM PST
Register Now at:
https://www2.gotomeeting.com/register/763610930
Once registered you will receive an email confirming your registration with information you need to join the Webinar.
System Requirements
PC-based attendees
Required: Windows® 7, Vista, XP or 2003 Server
Macintosh®-based attendees
Required: Mac OS® X 10.4.11 (Tiger®) or newer
Attachments
Ch02 - MoonProject.zip
Chapter 2 Source Code
(32.35 KiB) Downloaded 363 times
gary.bennett

Re: Chapter 2 : Programming Basics

Postby AngelArs » Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:55 pm

Hi Gary, What version of Alice does your chapter 2 plug in work with?

I tried to use it with the current version and got the error message "not backward compatible".

Also, what version of Alice was used in the book? The new version of Alice does not have any of the same files, and I think it would just be easier to delete it and install whatever version the book uses. Thanks!
AngelArs

Postby gary.bennett » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:35 am

AngelArs wrote:Hi Gary, What version of Alice does your chapter 2 plug in work with?

I tried to use it with the current version and got the error message "not backward compatible".

Also, what version of Alice was used in the book? The new version of Alice does not have any of the same files, and I think it would just be easier to delete it and install whatever version the book uses. Thanks!

This is posted on the forum under the book and should answer your question. Let me know.
Alice 3.0 was released Sept 2012 and some of the screen changed a little. This video should address those changes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hCnUUXOKvo
gary.bennett

Postby DeeMiester » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:40 am

Hello Gary,
I have just started on the book but stumbled on Chapter 2, when i got to the 'Creating an Alice App - To the Moon Alice'. I do not see the MoonProject.a3p template , Generic Alice Models, etc. How do i proceed. I see a zip file under this chapter in this forum. Do i need to download and run it? Please advise on next steps.
Thank you.
DeeMiester

Postby slowpokezzz » Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:34 pm

DeeMiester wrote:Hello Gary,
I have just started on the book but stumbled on Chapter 2, when i got to the 'Creating an Alice App - To the Moon Alice'. I do not see the MoonProject.a3p template , Generic Alice Models, etc. How do i proceed. I see a zip file under this chapter in this forum. Do i need to download and run it? Please advise on next steps.
Thank you.

Yep... Me too. I am echoing DeeMiester's comment except, I don't see any .zip files... Not big issue. I was wondering if Gary could make an ammenndment to chapter 2, using the new objects in Alice 3.1 and distribute the changes as a .pdf?
slowpokezzz

Postby gary.bennett » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:03 pm

slowpokezzz wrote:
DeeMiester wrote:Hello Gary,
Thank you.

Yep... Me too. I am echoing DeeMiester's comment except, I don't see any .zip files... Not big issue. I was wondering if Gary could make an ammenndment to chapter 2, using the new objects in Alice 3.1 and distribute the changes as a .pdf?

Working on third edition with Alice 3.x
gary.bennett

Postby slowpokezzz » Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:38 am

gary.bennett wrote:Working on third edition with Alice 3.x

Woo-hoo! That's great news!...

Wait...

That means I have to buy another book!?... Ah, crap. : [
slowpokezzz

Postby gary.bennett » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:19 am

slowpokezzz wrote:
gary.bennett wrote:Working on third edition with Alice 3.x

Woo-hoo! That's great news!...

Wait...

That means I have to buy another book!?... Ah, crap. : [

lol, shoot me an email when it comes out. I'll take care of you. :lol:
gary.bennett

Postby john.fitsch » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:37 pm

[/quote]lol, shoot me an email when it comes out. I'll take care of you. :lol:[/quote]

I think this should apply towards everyone who has bought the book since Alice has been updated...
john.fitsch

Postby brantana » Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:24 pm

Alice seems to have changed. I downloaded Alice per the book, and got Alice Rev. 3. It does not work as described.
brantana

Postby brantana » Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:26 pm

OK. I guess I could have looked before I wrote. For our purposes, what version of Alice should we have to match the book?
brantana

Postby gary.bennett » Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:30 pm

brantana wrote:OK. I guess I could have looked before I wrote. For our purposes, what version of Alice should we have to match the book?

In Mid Sept 2012 Alice 3.0 was released. It contains a number of User Interface changes. I made a youTube video describing them. Here is the link:
http://youtu.be/7hCnUUXOKvo
gary.bennett

Postby sdodier » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:58 pm

Hello,

I watched the video that shows the new interface for Alice 3, but I still have an issue with one of the labs. Specifically, the lab on page 46, step 3, says to drag the "local tile" onto the editor. I don't see the local tile on the latest version of Alice on the bottom of the editor. I didn't even see it in your editor within the video you made. How do I use the local tiles with Alice 3?
sdodier

Postby ariane5 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:14 am

Can anyone help me to find out how to start a world with a new procedure i made? I can only see that the first method you make starts the world.
ariane5

Postby Drago » Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:40 pm

ariane5 wrote:Can anyone help me to find out how to start a world with a new procedure i made? I can only see that the first method you make starts the world.

advice
go ahead, do not spend much time with Alice. :arrow: :arrow: :arrow:
"It's more fun to be a pirate than to join the navy."
Steve Jobs.
Drago

Postby FuadAdetoro » Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:45 am

I don't have astronaut in my version of alice :( how do i proceed from what i'm doing
FuadAdetoro

Postby Drago » Sat Jun 07, 2014 12:53 pm

FuadAdetoro wrote:I don't have astronaut in my version of alice :( how do i proceed from what i'm doing

Hi there
Use any other object, keep it simple.
"It's more fun to be a pirate than to join the navy."
Steve Jobs.
Drago

Return to Book -> Objective-C for Absolute Beginners: (2nd Edition) iPhone and Mac Programming Made Easy