A-Book Information

This forum contains all the assignments and questions readers may have for each chapter.

Moderator: gary.bennett

A-Book Information

Postby gary.bennett » Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:49 pm

Book for this course: Objective-C for Absolute Beginners (2nd Edition)
Now available on eBook. (the text is in color)
http://www.apress.com/9781430236535
Hard copy is also available via Amazon and at your local bookstores. Available via Kindle too.
http://www.amazon.com/Objective-C-Absol ... 127&sr=8-2

Alice 3.1 was released Sept 2012 and some of the screen changed a little. This video should address those changes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hCnUUXOKvo
gary.bennett

FREE-Weekly Webinar!!

Postby Gary » Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:22 pm

Weekly Q&A for Objective-C for Absolute Beginners Book

Purpose: Answer questions about Objective-C and OOP from book or other related info.
This Webinar is held every week on Wednesday, from:
Register Now at:
https://www2.gotomeeting.com/register/763610930
Once registered you will receive an email confirming your registration with information you need to join the Webinar.
System Requirements
PC-based attendees
Required: Windows® 7, Vista, XP or 2003 Server
Macintosh®-based attendees
Required: Mac OS® X 10.4.11 (Tiger®) or newer
Gary

Re: A-Book Information

Postby AngelArs » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:14 pm

I’m finding that the worse part about the book doesn’t have anything to do with the book at all, it’s Alice. For chapter 2 it took me several days to finally find a version of Alice that I could use while following along in the book. Then in chapter 3 I find out that they’ve removed the ‘local’ button, and integer feature so now I’m off trying to hunt down another version that will work for chapter 3. It wouldn’t be so bad but it wastes so much time downloading a version of Alice, waiting for the files to download (half an hour) then installing Alice (another 20 minutes) then try to follow along in the book - only to find out that half of what is needed in the chapter either doesn’t work or is missing. Then the whole process has to be started all over again. Why they didn’t make Alice backwards compatible is a major flaw. Anyway I know that none of this is your fault, but still it effects reading your book. What was the version of Alice when the book was written? I looked for this information in the book but couldn't find it anywhere. I tried 2.3 but that apparently isn’t it. I also tried 3.0 and several versions of 3.1. I’d like to just have one version of Alice and stick with it throughout the book IF that’s possible. Thanks Gary!
AngelArs

Postby gary.bennett » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:20 pm

AngelArs wrote:I’m finding that the worse part about the book doesn’t have anything to do with the book at all, it’s Alice. For chapter 2 it took me several days to finally find a version of Alice that I could use while following along in the book. Then in chapter 3 I find out that they’ve removed the ‘local’ button, and integer feature so now I’m off trying to hunt down another version that will work for chapter 3. It wouldn’t be so bad but it wastes so much time downloading a version of Alice, waiting for the files to download (half an hour) then installing Alice (another 20 minutes) then try to follow along in the book - only to find out that half of what is needed in the chapter either doesn’t work or is missing. Then the whole process has to be started all over again. Why they didn’t make Alice backwards compatible is a major flaw. Anyway I know that none of this is your fault, but still it effects reading your book. What was the version of Alice when the book was written? I looked for this information in the book but couldn't find it anywhere. I tried 2.3 but that apparently isn’t it. I also tried 3.0 and several versions of 3.1. I’d like to just have one version of Alice and stick with it throughout the book IF that’s possible. Thanks Gary!

Did you see this post right above your post and just below the picture of the book
Alice 3.0 was released Sept 2012 and some of the screen changed a little. This video should address those changes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hCnUUXOKvo
gary.bennett

Postby AngelArs » Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:07 pm

Yes I saw that the other day. I've gone through so many versions of Alice that I'm not sure why 3.0 didn't work. One of the versions of Alice didn't have the local button. Another had the local button - but no integer option. Some versions only opened up via Disk Utility and other version wouldn't open up at all no matter what I tried. I wrote to the developer but his "solution" was just to try a different browser. I tried Firefox but some versions of Alice still didn't open. It's just very frustrating and time wasting. I love the way you teach but I feel like my hands are tied reading the book because of all the problems with Alice. Until I can narrow down a working version of Alice that didn't remove features I am just watching videos for now.
AngelArs

Postby gary.bennett » Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:14 pm

AngelArs wrote:Yes I saw that the other day. I've gone through so many versions of Alice that I'm not sure why 3.0 didn't work. One of the versions of Alice didn't have the local button. Another had the local button - but no integer option. Some versions only opened up via Disk Utility and other version wouldn't open up at all no matter what I tried. I wrote to the developer but his "solution" was just to try a different browser. I tried Firefox but some versions of Alice still didn't open. It's just very frustrating and time wasting. I love the way you teach but I feel like my hands are tied reading the book because of all the problems with Alice. Until I can narrow down a working version of Alice that didn't remove features I am just watching videos for now.

I understand your frustration. Next month I will be updating my first 2 courses with the new Alice 3.0 and all the information. I hope that helps.
gary.bennett

Postby AngelArs » Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:37 pm

Yes that will be GREAT! Thank you.

It's a shame that you have to do this though.

There is no reason why the Alice developer(s) need to reinvent the wheel with each new version.

If they were simply backward compatible then none of this would be needed.

I look forward to getting back to learning from your book soon. Thanks Gary. I'm sure everyone currently reading your book appreciates it :D
AngelArs

Postby gary.bennett » Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:19 pm

AngelArs wrote:Yes that will be GREAT! Thank you.

It's a shame that you have to do this though.

There is no reason why the Alice developer(s) need to reinvent the wheel with each new version.

If they were simply backward compatible then none of this would be needed.

I look forward to getting back to learning from your book soon. Thanks Gary. I'm sure everyone currently reading your book appreciates it :D

Welcome to the world of software development where everything is outdated in 6 months. Backward compatibility is optional. Classes start in January 7th. http://www.xcelme.com/schedule/
gary.bennett

Return to Book -> Objective-C for Absolute Beginners: (2nd Edition) iPhone and Mac Programming Made Easy